Saturday, August 21, 2010

Marty (1955) w. Ernest Borgnine

Started writing an email back to Sis this morning about an old movie I watched last night that I had saved on my DVR, and figured I should blog about it. It fits. Nothing here makes any rhythmic sense. So, I take up where I was writing Sis:

Yup! It was my first Marty! (I discovered was a favorite of Sis'.)

Man, you know… You watch a movie like that, and its just great. I found myself getting overly nervous (so used to the noir themes in even the comedies we have these days) waiting for a complete disaster to happen everywhere, and then on edge hoping they would adequately sort things out by the end. But it didn’t go that way. It was just goddamn good acting, good cinema, a good story and uplifting at its simple end.

You just don’t get that anymore.

You got CG out the ass, or plots that writers think need to be so complicated its like having to go to work to watch.

Now, not being hypocritical here, I'll admit I'd also be the first one to pop in all the Harry Potters in order of release and watch them straight through (if I had the time these days), and because I'm not ashamed, I also follow the Twilight series with anticipated delight.

Now I can hear those who are still reading this moaning out there about my credibility as a film critic, and you people can take your moaning asses the hell outta here and drink some pee. Yes, go drink pee. Warm or cold, weak or bold, from young or medicated old.

(Stop that. Stop that!... That's silly. Just silly. Right!)


Ok, where was I before my mind turned?...

Marty. Right!

The movie is about a gentle butcher (Marty, played by Ernest Borgnine) who lives with his Italian mother, and who meets a shy woman (Clara, played by Betsy Blair).

I won't go into any more details, lest someone out there actually watch it who hasn't seen it, and anyone else knows how to navigate IMDb.

Look for Marty on TCM, put it in your Netflix cue or buy it somewhere. Its worth the watch.Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!




No comments:

Post a Comment